This recipe is for my snackers, my social mamas who like to host dinner parties, for my last minute ladies who said they’d bring an appy. My busy bee friends who have no time to prep but want to eat healthy, my newbie vegans (holla!) or my fellow foodies who love a meal that leaves them feeling fabulous.
If you adhere to any of the above, you are in for a treat. Quick & Easy Vegan Sushi, formally known as the “Fitness Roll’, will now be your go-to, best friend of a meal, snack or appy.
Best part about this recipe is you have the option to make it your own! Copy the recipe below or add your own favourite sushi fillings. Keep it interesting by changing out the ingredients or wow your guests by making a few different rolls. However you want to enjoy, the choice is yours. Big picture is, you WILL enjoy!
Quick & Easy Vegan Sushi
- sushi mat
- 1 medium yam sliced into wedges
- 1/2 cucumber cut into sticks
- 1 bell pepper cut into thin slices
- 1 carrot cut into sticks
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1/2 package tempeh
- 6 nori sheets
- 6 tbsp hummus store bought or homemade
- Tamari, Bragg's Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce for dipping
- 1 tbsp coconut, olive or avocado oil
Additional ingredients you can add:
- pickled beats
- brown rice/quinoa
- pickled ginger
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Cut yam into wedges. About 1/2' thick. Toss in oil, spread on baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until soft
- Cut all veggies, tempeh and avocado into sticks or thin slices
- Place nori sheet shiny side down onto the sushi mat. Spread 1 tbsp of hummus parallel along the bottom edge of sheet
- Once yams have cooked and cooled, place a 2 wedges on top of hummus on nori sheet
- Place a couple slices of the veggies, tempeh and avocado on the nori sheet alongside the yam
- Begin to roll nori using the sushi mat. See photo above for reference. Don't forget to slightly wet the edges of the nori sheet to ensure it sticks and seals the roll
- Once rolled, set aside and complete the others
- Once all sheets have been rolled, cut into bite size pieces to share or eat burrito style.Option to dip in soy sauce and/or hot sauce.
Keep a ziplock back of pre cut veggie sticks in the fridge for an even faster and easier vegan sushi roll.
Fool proof, healthy snack at your finger tips!